The EF-S 17-55mm is a fast EF-S zoom lens that rivals Canon's highly regarded L-series lenses in terms of image quality. It was made to meet consumer demand for a fast EF-S zoom lens. The lens has a large circular aperture that creates a shallow depth of field, blurring the background to focus on the photo. UD and a spherical elements, on the other hand, are used in the construction of the lens, which results in impressive image quality throughout the entire zoom range. In addition, even in low light, the image appears crisp and clear on the image plane because of the Image Stabilizer lens groups, which shift to compensate for camera shake. Finally, the lens has a ring-type ultrasonic monitor (USM), inner focusing, and new AF algorithms that make it easier to achieve quickly and quietly auto focus. It also has full-time mechanical manual focusing, which lets you manually adjust the focus even when the camera is in AF mode.
The EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM offers image quality on a par with Canon's highly regarded L-series lenses. With higher shutter speeds and a large maximum aperture, it can reduce subject motion blur. The maximum aperture of f2.8 enables a bright finder and extremely precise focusing with AF sensors that are compatible with f2.8, making shallow depth-of-field separation of a subject from its background much simpler to achieve. This lens excels in low-light situations due to the sharpness benefit of the internal stabilization, which is equivalent to a shutter speed increase of three stops. The EF-S 17-55 mm f2.8 IS USM lens is smaller and lighter than comparable lenses and has a 27-mm equivalent focal length.
- 17-55mm wide-angle zoom lens for Canon DSLR cameras with a maximum aperture of f/2.8
- Through the entire zoom range, AD and spherical elements deliver impressive image quality.
- Even in dim lighting, Image Stabilizer lens groups shift to correct for image shake.
- A shallow depth of field is produced by a large circular aperture; ultrasonic ring monitor (USM)
- For high clarity and color fidelity, two Ultra-Low Dispersion glass elements significantly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations.
- Focal length: 17-55mm
- Maximum aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Lens Format Coverage: APS-C
- Lens construction: 19 elements in 12 groups
- Diagonal angle of view: 78 degrees (at 30 feet) to 27 degrees (at 50 feet)
- Focus adjustment: AF with full-time manual
- Closest focusing distance: 1.15 feet
- Zoom system: 5-group helical zoom (front group moves 27mm)
- Filter size: 77mm
- Dimensions: 3.3 inches in diameter, 4.4 inches long
- Weight: 22.8 ounces.
Questions concerning this product ?
Ask an expert
Dial +1(647) 490-4003